Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gainful Employment

So after weeks of searching in vain I finally found a job. I am still broke but that will hopefully change once the money starts moving in. The odd thing is that I am kind of skeptical about this job, it seems too sudden. I guess I had just resigned myself to a life of unemployment and now that I am working it feels weird. I have been scammed by jobs in the past and am therefore worried that this might be a scam (its a small family run business). By scam I mean I am slightly worried that I won't get paid, but we will of course have to wait and see.
On that note I give a list of way to avoid getting scammed by your employer.
1.) If it is a big company and you are legally working for them then do not worry because if they do anything to you it will hurt their company image too much so they won't risk it.

2.) Do a google search on the company. Scroll down and look through a few pages of results looking for anything negative about the company.

3.) Pay attention to how they plan on paying you and when. If they pay you at the end of each month you have a lot more to lose if the check doesn't go through.

4.) Talk to any long time employees of the company. Chances are that if people have been working their a few years then they are a decent employer.

5.) If you hear anything along the lines of checks bouncing, people not getting paid the right amount or anything like that be ready to leave and possibly take a hit. The money you might lose will be smaller then if you continue to work and still end up not getting paid.

Well those are my suggestions, if you have any ideas of your own please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment