Monday, April 20, 2009

Finding Work

I hear that pictures are worth a thousand words. I would love to add them to this blog o mine, but I cannot think of anything relevant. Like what is the point of a picture if the thousand words it adds are completely irrelevant? or gibberish? However in an attempt to make this blog more then blocks of text I give you pictures.

Ohhhh ahhhhh Pretty colors. Now to something productive (also I am not insulting anyone its my own opinion that my blog looks bland and needs more color... something to work on).

Okay so re-stating my goal. This blog started (almost 3 days ago) as a way to make a quick and easy buck, because I have 7$ and a pack of Kraft dinner to my name and that's it. But it has evolved and changed over these few days, to a way to avoid studying. Also I have become oddly attached to it in a way that I no longer care if I make money. I'll find a job I guess, worst case I sell stuff on e bay (anyone want some empty boxes, I'll start the bidding at 5 bucks). So now I need to take a step back and refocus. On that note I present the point of my post:
How To Get A Job Advice from an unemployed student.
1.) Kiss Major Ass If you get an interview make it look like you would fight a full grown grizzly bear if it would help the company.

2.) Sell Yourself I guess this should be step one, basically view the application process as if your selling something, and that something is you. View all potential employers as potential buyers of You Inc.

3.) Lie Keep it within reason (don't say that you were employed by the CIA and that's why you have no references) but if they ask something like "what do you do in your spare time" don't say "Ummmm usually I get wasted". Even if that's the truth don't tell them that. You get the idea.

4.) Apply Everywhere Now is not the time to be picky about where you work. Apply at McDonald's, apply at grocery stores apply for lame positions. I don't care if you think you can do better then stocking shelves at Walmart, apply there. Worst case is you get a shitty job and keep looking for better jobs while you make coin at the shitty one.

5.) Follow Up Don't just drop off a resume and fill out an application. Go back (or call) a few days later and ask if they have had time to look at your resume. Ask if you can get an interview to have an opportunity to show them how you will be an asset to their company. Tell them you can start tomorrow. Don't over do it though, you do not want to bother them so much that you turn off an employer that otherwise would have hired you. Judge it, and play each case differently.

Well that's it. Now you might be thinking "if you know so much how come your still unemployed?". My answer to that is, I don't claim to know anything, this is just what I think would work. Hell I haven't done these things myself so that should tell you something, I just think that doing some of these things would really help someone find a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment