Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gardening


Right, so this is pretty off topic for me, but I can make it on topic. So I am starting a vegetable garden (pictures of said garden soon) and my seeds are now huge sprouts. I think this is going to become a new hobby of mine, gardening that is. It is actually pretty fun and easy, all you do is put some seeds in dirt and they grow. It's kinda like playing god on my own micro scale. Once I get a camera I will have pictures of said garden( the picture is not my garden but will do until I get a camera), but until then reasons for growing your own food.


1.) As a student access to healthy food is often limited because for some reason healthy food costs more then junk. So by paying 30 bucks for pots, seeds, soil and a seedling tray you can grow your own healthy food and never run out. If you manage to grow inside and harvest seeds you won't have to pay again.

2.) It's organic(if you want), you can choose how your food is grown. You can decide if you want to use pesticides, if you want to use fertilizer or whatever. You are in control of your food from seed to harvest.

3.) It's a bit of exercise. If you plant outdoors in the spring you have to till the soil, dig a plot, plant, put up fencing to keep critters out. A bunch of activity, now it won't replace going to the gym but it gets you off the couch and doing something enjoyable.

Well that's my rant on why veggie gardening is good for students. I guess it is still irrelevant but I have been on a dry spell for post ideas lately. For those who care/read I am still broke (cashing my change just allowed me to pay my credit cards). However I am no longer starving as I am home feeding off my parents and their well stocked fridge. So now I guess its summer posting time. I have applied at like a million jobs and am now waiting for calls (if i don't get a call in 3 days its follow up time). So that's it, to my non-existent reader base I bid you all good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment