Monday, April 27, 2009

Saving Change

Well I am home now, and after some craziness with unpacking and other welcome home activities I am now settled in. Today I broke open my piggy bank that I have been putting change in for the last year. I sat and counted all my quarters and other loose change for about an hour. At the end of that I had over a hundred dollars all rolled up in little change rolls from the bank. This brought a vision about a new blog post, how to save change.
This sounds like a simple enough endeavor for someone to do, but I am surprised that not that many people do it. All it takes is some self control and a jar and you too can save hundreds of dollars in change.
First thing to do is find a suitable vessel for your change (mine is a old washed out pickle jar) and cut a slot in the lid so you can slide change in.\
Now all you have to do is put change in it and do not take that change out until you are ready to count and deposit it. Every time you come home with change jingling around put it in that jar, do not spend from that jar just deposit. This is where the self control comes in because eventually you will notice all the loonies and toonies in the jar and want to reach in and grab some spending change, don't do this. If you can wait the pay off will be a lot more in the end.
That's basically it, just put change in a jar and do not take it out. Don't spend with change either just bills. Now this is of course not a way to actually make money, but it is a good way to force yourself to save money. I have been doing it for the past 3 years and every cash out has been more then a hundred dollars so it works. Well that's my advice for the day, now back to job hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment