Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to save Money

There are a lot of "how to's" out there on this broad broad Internet. Of those how to's a million or so of them are about how to save money (probably more) and then there are a gazillion about how to make money and blah blah blah. Basically money seems to be a big thing that people are interested in. People love money, and I guess that's unavoidable in a capitalist world where we are raised to love money. Money is a fetish of ours that much is true. I love money and a quick guess would be that you love money too. If I could get communism to work that would be sweet don't get me wrong, but it won't because we love money too much. Any way to the list, my top 5 tips on how to save money. Or advice on saving from a person that is horrible with money:
1.) Don't Spend Money. This should be obvious, but it is often the most overlooked aspect of saving money. People spend too much on useless crap, I could write a whole post about this but to keep it short, if you want to save money don't spend money.

2.) Don't Drink At Bars. In University this is a lot easier said then done. But I made it easy for you I didn't say don't drink, I said don't drink at bars. Get slammed off cheap beer at home before you go out and safe loads of coin. Also try to split a cab, and limit going out to maybe twice a week instead of 5 times a week.

3.) Avoid Technology. For most people this is a biggie. Avoid the super smart phones (do you really need a blackberry, your a student nothing you do in your life is so pressing as to necessitate a blackberry). Buy a cheap phone on a cheap plan (like koodo or one of those other discount carriers). Don't buy the latest i-pod (120 gb, who has that much music? and who needs that much music on the go?). Just basically keep technology to the bare essentials, plus in 5 years when you actually have money everything will be way better anyway. (This point is pretty hypocritical of me because I am a huge technophile).

4.) Avoid Useless Stuff. This one it pretty broad. What I class as useless you might not, but I think there are some universals. Like eating at restaurants, look unless your on a date is there really a reason to eat out? If you eat out because you want good food then take the time to learn to cook so you can make good food for yourself. I can't think of any other reason to eat out so save money and eat in. Don't buy expensive alcohol, it is useless, save the expensive stuff for when your older. Energy drinks are also useless, if you really need excessive amounts of caffeine then buy some caffeine pills from your local pharmacy. I could go on but I'm sure you can think of other useless purchases.

5.) If You Can Make It Don't Buy It. Look I don't care if the one you buy from the store looks better, your trying to save money, your a poor student in university, you shouldn't be so concerned with appearances. If you know how to make something (anything) then make it. This goes for everything from removable hard drives to food to clothes (not that many people can make their own clothes). What I am saying is join the DIY (do it yourself) movement, and actually save money and feel good knowing that you can create useful things.

Well that concludes my list, obvious, done a million times on a million different sites but now it had been done on mine. I am not expecting this to change your life but maybe it will save you few bucks today before it slips your mind tomorrow. Remember, living off of Kraft Dinner and hoping everyday that no unexpected expenses pop up sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment